JobsBack to jobs
Director of Nursing
General Summary of Duties:
The Director of Nursing is responsible to the VP of Nursing and Clinical Operations and/or CEO for facilitating, coordinating and delegating the delivery of patient care to a defined group of patients during their entire hospitalization period. The Director of Nursing provides leadership and overall responsibility for the functioning of assigned clinical patient care/procedural unit(s). She/he is responsible 24 hours a day, with full accountability, for the staffing and management of patient care in each of his/her units, for promoting the practice of professional nursing in a specified patient care area, and for the acquisition, development, and utilization or resources (human and material) needed to fulfill those responsibilities. She/he acts as a liaison between physicians and the patient care team and works cooperatively with administrators, physicians, staff, other managers and all customers of Frio Regional Hospital to provide services, which consistently meet and exceed the expectations of their customers. This is accomplished by assessing and prioritizing opportunities to improve, plan and implement effective changes and evaluate outcomes of process improvement activities. The Director of Nursing models behavior consistent with the FRH management philosophy.
Essential Job Functions:
- Builds and maintains a high functioning team.
- Manages and provides guidance and direction to first line supervisors/charge personnel including interviewing, work allocation, orientation and training, staff development, problem resolution, evaluating performance, making recommendations for personnel actions, and motivation of employees to achieve peak performance. Is responsible for meeting unit productivity targets.
- Manages and plans for unit and clinical activities including supervising the treatment and care of the patients.
- Responsible for organizing, directing, teaching, and evaluating total nursing care within area of responsibility, including ensuring adequate staffing.
- Participates in the planning, development, and management of operational and equipment budgets annually. Provides financial variance analysis reports in a timely manner. Reviews monthly financial statistics and plans expenditures according to budget limitations. Manages the ongoing implementation of approved plans.
- Anticipates the purchase or replacement of equipment with input from staff and physicians. Implements the equipment purchase process. Anticipates and recommends needs for added space and needed services not provided by the organization.
- Must be flexible in work hours.
Additional Job Functions:
- Supports the mission and vision of Frio Regional Hospital. Understands and is committed to helping Frio Regional Hospital and its associated facilities achieve its goals.
- Must learn and comply with facility safety policies and rules; must use appropriate safety equipment and procedures at all times; must immediately report all unsafe conditions to supervisors; must be familiar with all safety features of equipment, tools or materials encompassed by job duties; and must check with supervisors (prior to job performance) if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
- Adheres to the FRH Code of Conduct and demonstrates ethical behavior as expected by our patients, colleagues and the community. Understands the personal obligation to report any activity that appears to violate applicable laws, rules regulations or the Code of Conduct itself.
- May cross train in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department/work unit or to permit flexible staffing assignments.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures which relate to the particular nursing specialty and integrates standards of care into unit operations/collaborative care paths that support the provision of services.
- Evaluates the collaborative care system on unit(s) utilizing variance reports, clinical data, and cost/quality outcomes.
- Provides leadership and direction for staffing their unit(s) in accordance with the organizational goals and objectives. Identifies modifications in staffing based on patient acuity and census.
- Communicates with staff and keeps staff current with appropriate information through staff meetings, newsletters and/or announcements. This includes educational needs identified for the units, information from Process improvement activities, new technology/therapy/service, plant technology, safety program, findings from Infection Control, unit goals, objectives, and standards, and unit problems and their resolutions.
- Promotes the practice of professional nursing by mentoring unit nurses in the development of leadership skills, facilitating shared governance. Encourages collaborative relationships between physicians and nurses within the specific area.
- Modifies the interview techniques to adequately assess the patient by identifying the physical, psychosocial, and educational needs common to infants/children, adolescents, adults or geriatric patients.
- Assists with vendor selection for new equipment based on departmental needs.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
- Education: Bachelor of Science and Nursing of related field
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Nursing or related field
- Experience: Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of recent RN clinical care experience in a relevant setting
- Minimum of One (1) year of management experience as a charge RN, clinical care manager/supervisor
- Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specified to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable)
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
- Must have current RN license to practice professional nursing in the state of Texas
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support
Based on experience
Monday, November 8, 2021
Open until filledApply for this job